Z is for Zig-Zag

Z is for zig-zag and zee end! Haha. I didn't think I would make it. Just kidding. Seriously, how are all you doing after a long month of poetry? One more to go and poetry month has been officially celebrated!

Take a journey on a Zeppelin
by Bill Boudreau

What is a zig-zag poem? I'm not sure if this form really exists. A zig-zag poem is when you take the last word from a line and use it to start the next line in the poem so that it creates a zig-zag down the page.


See the Zepplin soar
Soar high above
Above the trees below
Below the thundering raid


Raid the cupboards bare
Bare the bumpy ride
Ride the skies tonight
Tonight you travel home


Length? As long as it takes to tell your story.


Challenge
--Write a zig-zag poem. Imagine floating along in a Zeppelin. What do you see? What do you smell? What do you feel? Now write a poem and you are done!


Resources
--To learn about the Zeppelin click here.


If you liked this post please let others know with a click of button below.  Tomorrow, the A to Z Poetry Contest opens to those who have signed up and taken part in my A to Z Poetry Challenge.  I hope you come back for that!  If you are wondering what now? Don't fret.  Starting mid May, I'm launching a new series that will include fabulous poetry, illustrations, and some sort of activity. Stay tuned for this exciting poetry series! 


Remember you can always connect with me on Facebook and Twitter, or Pin me in Pinterest, link up on LinkedIn, and add me to your Google Circle.


Do you want to catch up or re-visit earlier poetry posts? Here are the most recent poetry posts: 

Comments

  1. Wow, thanks so much Rena! I can't believe you have the energy to provide us with even more awesomeness. The Z poem sounds lots of fun too.
    Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! Poetry Friday will be fun for me and it will help me continue to grow as a poet. And hopefully fun my readers too!

      Delete
  2. What a great month, I do wish I had joined in now. I am sure you will do it again next year.

    Does this form of repeating the word have a name, Rena?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be hosting the challenge again next year. It should be great! I'm not sure what you mean by your question?

      Delete
    2. I think she means the zig zag pattern - didn't you say you're not sure it really exists? Did you make it up or see it somewhere?

      Delete
    3. Haha that makes sense. I thought I had seen this form somewhere, but I couldn't find any information on the zig-zag poem so I went with what I had in my head.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so, so, much Rena! It has been a fantastic month indeed! Thank you for all of your hard work and for inspiring us to write something new each day. I think I speak for everyone when I say that this has been a blast and I personally look forward to participating in future challenges! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie. I look forward to continuing to read your wonderful poems.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Rena for putting this together this month. I had a lot of fun and learned so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. I'm glad you joined and I hope you continue to write poetry.

      Delete
  5. Oh, a zeppelin poem. You'll be pleasantly surprised by my May manuscript, which I've been researching. Zeppelins aren't far off the mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I love, love history. I hope to write a historical fiction one of these days. But for now I'm toying with the idea of doing a mini-history lesson each week on my blog as part of an activity for kids. I have plan it out first and see if it will work.

      Delete
  6. I have to say that you AND your husband are quite talented.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much, Rena, for your hard work in putting A to Z Poetry Month together and making it so wonderful!!

    I always thought of myself as a rhyming picture book writer, not a poet, but after writing 25 (soon to be 26) poems in a month, I feel like I can call myself a poet - THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool and thanks. I'm glad that you made it to the end!

      Delete
  8. First, thank you for the example of the zig-zag poem. Fun one! Second, I'm excited about your upcoming projects & activities. Third, you've made this an anxious, yet fun month for me. I've learned much from everyone. Lots of hard work, lady. Thank you and so, my zig-zag poem.

    Reflections from the Zeppelin

    I sit with nose pressed
    Pressed against the glass
    Glass of past, present.

    Present changes ever quickly
    Quickly I press harder to hold
    Hold the images of lessons

    Lessons learned. "Look, there! Just beyond!"
    Beyond fear, which blurs as we rise,
    Rise as risks takers' open doors.

    Doors leading. "See, there! Creation!"
    Creation enters and I lean away
    Away from the glass and take in His Glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad that you made it to the end! This is a beautiful poem. I felt like a kid reading this as I imagined me as a child with my face pressed to the glass and lost in wonder!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Penny and Rena! This was an amazing ride! Poetry, FOREVER!

      Delete
  9. I've actually never heard of that kind of poem before. Awesome! I'd do the challenge right now and leave the result here but I'm afraid my brain is fried from being in my writing zone all day.

    Jessica
    A to Z Blogger & SF/Fantasy Writer @ Visions of Other Worlds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it really exists. Now worries about the poem. The challenge is more for those who signed up to take on the poetry challenge.

      Delete
  10. Here's my final poem of the month - it's a true mash-up of all the poems I've written.
    http://loridegman.blogspot.com/2012/04/poetry-month-mash-up-day-twenty-six.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds fun Lori! Congrats on making it to the end!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. Remember to keep them kid friendly.

Popular Posts