Poetic Captions: Grocery Store

Today's poem was inspired by Catherine Johnson's poem Monkey Business.  I think this poem is something many of you can relate to. Enjoy. 


Grocery Shopping 
--By Rena J. Traxel


He's jumping up and down
I want cookies!
Like a hyper kangaroo
He’s going through a phase
That is what I’m told

He’s nagging at my side
Like a buzzing little fly
He is grabbing all the junk
Every time I turn away

He’s reading all the labels
Like a seeing eye dog
He’s driving me insane
I should have left him home 

So what do you do
With a hyper kangaroo,
A buzzing little fly,
A seeing eye dog,
I’ll tell you what to do
I’ll try it next time
Leave him in the car
Like every wife should do…(he’s thirty-seven after all). 

If you liked this post please let others know. Join me next week for another Poetic Caption, featuring a poem by me and illustration by Bill. On Ouch Monday, I’ll be talking about networking I hope you come back for that.
--
Remember you can always connect with me on Facebook and Twitter. Until then dare to write the impossible
--

Comments

  1. HA! I did not see that ending coming...and when I got to the line "Leave him in the car" I was like, NOOOOOOOOO! Then I understood. Clever, Rena!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My husband just laughed when I showed it to him.

      Delete
  2. Same as Renee, I thought, "You can't leave him in the car!" Ha! I don't think my husband has been grocery shopping in over a year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't think I could convince him to stay in the car. He has too much fun bugging me.

      Delete
  3. I love the twist at the end. Believe my, I can't shop with my husband. He sneaks all kinds of things into the cart: truffle cheese, pistachio chocolates....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My husband is the worst. I usually go shopping on my own but once in awhile he comes along and fills the cart with chips and chocolate.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, this was so funny. Total giggles at the end. You two really appreciate each others' humor and points of view. Love the poem, Rena. BTW, the sketch? Totally cute.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Thankfully the poem made him poem. The sketch really does look like him.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. Remember to keep them kid friendly.

Popular Posts